Custom Pages

Monday, December 22, 2014

Making Sketches

After spending weeks tatting snowflakes, wrapping gifts, and getting ready for the Holidays, I've finally had a chance to sit down and do something more relaxing. I decided that I wanted to try sketching some potential designs the old fashioned way...with pencil and paper. Many doodles and pieces of paper later, I ended up with a butterfly and a heart:


Prior to this, I had been exclusively using Kaleidoscope Drawing Pad to come up with ideas. While this app works really well for snowflakes, squares, and crosses, I was never able to create a satisfactory butterfly or heart. It seems that the less points of symmetry an object has, the more difficult it is to draw on an iPad.

There's no telling if these ideas will translate into tatting, though I try my best to keep my drawings within the confines of expected thread behavior. Nothing too fancy or confusing.

On another note, I liked the way the Priscilla bookmark turned out, so I decided to tat one for myself. This one is in progress and I'm using Lizbeth size 80 in the color Rainbow Taffy.


I didn't wind enough thread onto the shuttles, so I will have to add more as I go...something I try to avoid because I hate both sewing in ends and tatting over tails!

5 comments:

Madtatter80 said...

I like your both projects and they are coming along nicely.

muskaan said...

Both your sketches look so very good ! They will look great when tatted :-))
This colorway is pretty - bright & cheerful !

Jane McLellan said...

Wow, such neat sketches! Pretty thread. It's tricky isn't it, you don't want to have masses of thread left on the shuttle but adding in thread is always a bit of a pain.

Tally Tatty said...

Nice hart!! Tatting over tails is not that bad,.. I do it all the time. It comes with the trade.
Happy 2015 !

God's Kid said...

I love your designs and the heart especially!!! :)
Love the bookmark!!! :) Rainbow Taffy is one of my favorite colors!!! :)